Unemploymentclaims.org is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.

Applying for Unemployment

We are an online resource to help answer your questions, check eligibility and assist in applying for Unemployment. You will also be advised if you qualify for additional benefit programs and receive our benefit guide.

Alaska Unemployment

An Unemployment Claim is a request done by an eligible worker for financial assistance while one is without work yet actively seeking work.

There are different types of Unemployment Insurance (UI) available through the Alaska Department of Labor.

Regular Unemployment Insurance

A person may qualify for regular UI if he or she worked in covered employment and earned enough wage credits.

Covered employment is when you work for an employer who is bound by Alaska statute and pays an Unemployment Insurance Tax for their workers. If your employer pays the tax, this means he or she is registered with the Alaska Department of Labor. He or she should have a certificate posted at the place of employment as proof. You can also ask the department who handles payroll if your wages are subject to unemployment insurance.

Enough wage credits refers to a total gross income of at least $2,500 earned over two calendar quarters of your base period. In Alaska, the regular Base Period is the first four of the last five completed calendar quarters prior to the quarter in which a claim is filed for benefits. If you do not have sufficient wages in the base period for an eligible claim, you will be placed on an alternate base period.

*An alternate base period is the last four completed calendar quarters before the quarter in which you file your claim.

Interstate Claim for Benefits

An individual who is living in another state, but has worked in Alaska, may file an Alaska claim.

To file an Interstate Claim call 1-888-252-2557.

Combined Wage Claim (CWC) for Benefits

If an individual worked in more than one state during the last two years, they may qualify for a Combined Wage Claim (CWC).

Combining wages may result in a higher weekly benefit amount.

Remember to advise your claim representative, so wages can be transferred.

Extended Benefits

If an individual has exhausted all unemployment benefits and he or she has a current benefit year, he or she may be eligible for Extended Benefits (EB) if available. This is a federal program that pays additional unemployment insurance (UI) benefits during periods of high unemployment. You can apply for EB at myalaska.state.ak.us

More Options

  • Unemployment Compensation for Federal Civilian Employees (UCFE)
  • Unemployment Compensation for Ex-Military Personnel (UCX
  • Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA) – this applies when the federal government has declared a major disaster and decides to offer individual assistance. 

What happens if I’m fired, laid off or if I quit?

You must report if you are fired, quit your job or refuse work to the Alaska Department of Labor, so a determination of eligibility for UI benefits can be made. In most cases, a worker must be out of work through no fault of their own to be eligible for benefits without penalty.

When you file a claim your employer will be mailed a “Notice of Filing” to verify the reason you have stated as to why you are no longer working.

There is no penalty or reduction in Unemployment Insurance benefits if you are laid off.

Penalties may include a six-week disqualification period beginning with the first week you are unemployed, plus a three-week reduction in benefits.