Delaware Unemployment

The Unemployment Insurance (UI) program was created to help individuals, who are currently unemployed, financially while they find a job. In order to be eligible to receive UI benefits, you must comply with several requirements.

To be eligible, an individual must be:

  • Able to work.
  • Available for work.
  • Actively seeking work.
  • Monetarily eligible.
  • Registered for work with the Department of Employment and Training (unless exempt by law).
  • Unemployed through no fault of his or her own.


You must report if you are fired, quit your job or refuse work to the Delaware Department of Labor, so a determination of eligibility for UI benefits can be made.

When you file a claim, your employer will be mailed a “Notice of Filing” to verify the reason you have stated as to why you are no longer working. The Department will have the final say regarding your eligibility for benefits.

There is no penalty or reduction in Unemployment Insurance benefits if you are laid off.

You must be prepared with all the necessary information and documents.

You will need:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Social Security card
  • Driver’s license
  • Work history (names and addresses of all employers over the last 18 months)
  • Reason for loss of job


There are specific document requests for non-citizens.


If you are not a U.S. citizen, you will need:


  • Alien registration card
  • Form 1-551
  • Green card or alien documentation
  • Identification
  • Telecommunication card


In addition to everything listed above:


  • If you are a former military employee, provide form DD214 copy 4.
  • If you are a former federal civilian employee, provide forms 8 and 50.
  • If you belong to a union, provide the name and local number of union hall.


You can file an initial or new Unemployment Insurance claim online or in person.

To file online, visit:

To file in person, visit the nearest UI Claims Office.

For office locations, visit the directory at:

If you have applied for UI benefits and your claim has been denied, you can file an appeal. You may appeal within 10 calendar days and request a hearing. You can file an appeal in writing or in person. Visit your local UI office.

Your unemployment insurance benefits are considered taxable income. You have the option of having 10 percent of your weekly benefits withheld by the Department of Labor. An IRS 1099 form will be mailed to your address the following January. It is your responsibility to determine the amount of your tax and pay the amount due on your annual federal and state income tax returns, using the information provided to you on the 1099-G form. Contact a claim center representative to take care of this matter.

To contact the IRS, visit:

For the Division of Unemployment Insurance, call 302-761-8484.