How can I sign up for unemployment in Florida?
To apply for unemployment benefits in Florida, you can submit an online application for unemployment through the department's CONNECT website, which was specifically designed for managing UI claims. However, prior to using the CONNECT internet services, you must create a new claimant account and obtain your PIN number.
Then, you can sign in to your profile and follow these straightforward steps to submit your unemployment EDD application in Florida:
1. Access the “Apply for Reemployment Assistance Benefits” menu.
2. Answer the DEO questions regarding your UI benefits.
3. Supply the necessary information and documents.
4. Enter your contact information, such as your mailing address and your phone number.
5. Provide detailed information about your employment history.
6. Answer questions regarding your eligibility for UI benefits.
7. Review your claim and confirm your submission.
When completing your CONNECT unemployment registration application, you can save your progress and finalize the procedure at a later time. After submitting your claim, you can access it again (by entering your PIN and Social Security Number) in order to enter any new data that may affect your UI benefits application.
Note: Applications may only be filed via telephone if you are computer illiterate or disabled. Claimants who cannot use the CONNECT application due to insufficient knowledge of the English language can also contact the DEO via phone.
What do I need to provide during the FL unemployment registration process?
Now that you know how and where to apply for unemployment in Florida, you must collect the information and documents necessary to file for unemployment benefits. Note that even if you are unable to provide all of the required items during your initial application, you can still apply for unemployment benefits in FL and supply the remaining data later. In general, you have to provide the following paperwork and information:
• Your Social Security Number and your FL driver's license number or state ID number
• Your personal information, such as your full name, date of birth, gender, race and level of education
• Extensive information about the jobs you have held in the last 18 months, such as:
◦ Your employers' names and their contact information
◦ The start and end dates of your past jobs
◦ Your untaxed gross earnings
◦ The reason(s) for your dismissal from work
• Data about any pensions, retirement claims and worker's compensation
Note: Former members of the military, federal employees, self-employed workers and non-U.S. citizens will be required to submit additional data and documentation.
What do I do after I apply for unemployment benefits in Florida?
After you submit your online application for unemployment in Florida, you must complete several additional procedures in order to finalize the entire unemployment registration process. For instance, you must register with the state workforce agency (Employ Florida Marketplace), as you must be actively seeking employment in order to qualify for UI benefits. If you fail to complete this step, your unemployment benefits application will be denied.
When you file for unemployment in Florida, the department will promptly provide you with an estimate of your future benefits by mailing you the Wage Transcript and Determination notice. If you do not agree with the DEO calculations, you will be able to request a reconsideration of the department's monetary determination within 20 days from the date of the notice.
Also, you may be informed by the DEO, either by phone, online or via standard mail, that you are required to submit additional documents and information to process your claim. Therefore, you must regularly visit your CONNECT profile or check for mail-in notices. A DEO adjudicator will review your application once you complete it and will determine whether you are eligible for UI benefits in Florida.
If you are not required to provide any further items and your unemployment EDD application was accepted, you will be able to request your first benefit payment through the CONNECT internet service. You will be scheduled to claim your first UI paycheck within two to three weeks.