Unemploymentclaims.org is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.

Applying for Unemployment

We are an online resource to help answer your questions, check eligibility and assist in applying for Unemployment. You will also be advised if you qualify for additional benefit programs and receive our benefit guide.

Hawaii Unemployment

The Unemployment Insurance (UI) program provides temporary financial help to qualified workers who are unemployed.

In order to be eligible to receive UI benefits, individuals must comply with several requirements.

You are considered “eligible” when you are:

  • Unemployed.
  • Able to work.
  • Available for work.
  • Actively searching for work.

All individuals must also meet these conditions:

  • You must have been paid wages for insured work in at least two quarters in your base period.
  • You must have worked and been paid wages for insured work during your base period of at least 26 times your weekly benefit amount.
  • If you are applying for a new claim immediately after a prior claim expires, then you must also have worked after the start of your prior benefit year and been paid wages for insured work of at least five times the weekly benefit amount on your new claim.

You may be disqualified from receiving benefits if:

  • You voluntarily quit without good cause.
  • You were discharged or suspended for misconduct connected with work.
  • You failed to accept suitable work without good cause.
  • You are not working due to a labor dispute.
  • You have other UI benefits, pension, retirement pay or any deductible income.
  • You have committed fraud.

You may be eligible if you work part-time or work less than your full-time hours and earn less than your Weekly Benefit Amount (WBA).

Required Documents and Information

When you file an UI claim, you will need:

  • Social Security number

  • Alien registration number (if not a U.S. citizen)

  • DD214 member 4 copy (if former military)

  • SF8, SF50 or pay-stubs (if former federal employee)

You will also need to provide information from your former employer(s) for the past 18 months.

Please include:

  • Name

  • Address

  • ZIP code

  • Phone number

  • Dates of employment

  • Reason for separation

Filing a Claim

You can file an initial claim online, over the phone or in person.

To apply online, visit: uiclaims.hawaii.gov.

To file a claim over the phone, call:

  • Hawaii: 808-643-5555
  • Out of state: 1-877-215-5793

To file a claim in person, go to an UI office.

For office locations, visit: http://labor.hawaii.gov.

Continued Eligibility

After you file a new claim or reactivate your claim, you need to file a claim certification each week for the first two weeks. This process is referred to as weekly filing. After the first two weeks, you should file claim certifications every two weeks. This process is known as bi-weekly filing.

You can file your weekly or biweekly claim online or over the phone.

To file online, go to: uiclaims.hawaii.gov.

To file online, call Hawaii Tele-Claim.

Hawaii: 808-643-2222

Out of state: 1-877-215-5791

Hearing impaired: 808-643-2222

Other Unemployment Insurance Options

Additional Claims: If you filed a claim for UI benefits and return to work full-time or part-time, and become separated from employment, you may file an additional claim to reestablish your eligibility for benefits.

Reopen Claims: If you stop filing for benefits for two or more consecutive weeks because of illness, disqualification, unavailability, or any other reason besides employment, you may file a reopen claim.

Partial Claims: If you were still attached to your regular employer, worked less than your full time hours, and earned less than your weekly benefit amount during a week, then you may be eligible to file an initial claim for partial benefits.

Part-Total Claims: You may file a part-total claim if you are working part-time on a regular basis while seeking full-time employment. You must file your claim certifications within 7 calendar days after the week ending date of your weekly claim, or after the second week ending date of your bi-weekly claim.

Interstate Claims: If you move to another state, you may still receive UI benefits if you meet Hawaii eligibility requirements. To apply for benefits, file an interstate claim.

Combined Wage Claims: If you worked in Hawaii and another state(s) during the 18 months before you file your initial claim, you might be able to combine your out-of-state wages to qualify for a valid claim, or to increase your weekly benefit amount. To apply for benefits, file a combined wage claims.

For more information about these and other types of claims, visit: http://labor.hawaii.gov/.