Need to Apply for Unemployment? provides access to beneficial services during your time of unemployment. Enter your Zip Code to get started:

Michigan Unemployment

The Unemployment Insurance (UI) program was created to help individuals financially while they find a job.

In order to be eligible to receive UI benefits, you must comply with several requirements.


As a claimant, you must:

  • Be able to work.
  • Be available for work.
  • Actively look for work. 
  • Be unemployed through no fault of your own.
  • Have earned sufficient wages.


To file a UI claim, you will need one of these:

  • Social Security number
  • Driver’s license number
  • State identification number

Have the following work information available:

  • Names and addresses of employers you have worked for in the past 18 months
  • Quarterly gross earnings
  • The last date of employment with each employer

If you are not a U.S. citizen or national, you will need your alien registration number and the expiration date of your work authorization.

Filing a Claim

You may file a UI claim online or over the phone.

To file a claim online, simply visit the Michigan Web Account Manager system, known as MARVIN or MiWAM at:

To file an initial claim over the phone, call 1-866-500-0017. For TTY callers, use 1-866-366-0004.

There is a scheduled time for your phone call depending on the last two digits of your Social Security number (SSN):

  • If your SSN ends in 00-15, you should call Mondays between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.
  • If your SSN ends in 16-33, you should call Mondays between 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
  • If your SSN ends in 34-48, you should call Tuesdays between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.
  • If your SSN ends in 49-66, you should call Tuesdays between 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
  • If your SSN ends in 67-81, you should call Wednesdays between 8 a.m. and 12 p.m.
  • If your SSN ends in 82-99, you should call Wednesdays between 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Continued Eligibility

You must certify for UI benefits every other week to keep claiming payments. You may do so online or over the phone.

To file a biweekly claim online, visit Michigan’s Automated Response Voice Interactive Network (MARVIN) or MiWAM at:

To file a biweekly claim over the phone, call MARVIN at 1-866-638-3993. You will be assigned an appointment day and hour to call.

MARVIN is available Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. (ET).

*If you miss your appointment you may call on Thursday or Friday between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.

Extended Benefits

During periods of high unemployment, Extended Benefits (EB) may become available to workers who have exhausted their regular state unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. For more information, contact the Unemployment Insurance Agency at1-866-500-0017.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation

Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) is a federal extension given to individuals who have exhausted all regular Michigan reemployment assistance benefits. EUC benefits are currently unavailable. If reinstated, the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency (UIA) will notify those who are eligible. You may also check the UIA official website for updates. Visit:

What happens if I’m fired, laid off or if I quit?

You must report if you are fired, quit your job or refuse work to the Michigan Unemployment Insurance Agency, so a determination of eligibility for UI benefits can be made.

When you file a claim, your employer will be mailed a “Notice of Filing” to verify the reason you have stated as to why you are no longer working. The Department will have the final say regarding your eligibility for benefits.

There is no penalty or reduction in Unemployment Insurance benefits if you are laid off.

  • If I Was Turned down for Benefits Can I File an Unemployment Appeal?

    If you apply for unemployment and are disqualified or denied benefits, but you feel you are entitled to them you have the right to file an appeal.

    What You Need To Know

    • The state will advise you of your appeal rights.
    • You must file your appeal within an established time frame.
    • Your employer may…

    Read more

    Can I Collect Unemployment Benefits If I Quit My Job?

    Eligibility requirements for unemployment benefits according to the law focus on two main factors:

    • The state requirements for wages earned or time worked during an established period of time referred to as a “base period.”
    • You must be determined to be unemployed through no fault of your own.

    If you quit your job…

    Read more

    Can I Extend My Unemployment Benefits

    Unemployment insurance payments or benefits are intended to provide temporary financial assistance to unemployed workers who meet the requirements of state law.

    To continue to be eligible for unemployment benefits you need to comply with several requisites.

    These include:

    • You must file weekly or biweekly claims (after the week(s) has ended) and respond…

    Read more

    When Should I File for Unemployment Benefits?

    You should file for unemployment as soon as you are unemployed. If you are currently unemployed, you must contact your State Unemployment Insurance agency and apply.

    First, are you eligible?

    According to the law, in order to be considered “eligible” for unemployment benefits there are two main factors to be considered:

    • The state…

    Read more - All Rights reserved 2014