Unemploymentclaims.org is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.

Applying for Unemployment

We are an online resource to help answer your questions, check eligibility and assist in applying for Unemployment. You will also be advised if you qualify for additional benefit programs and receive our benefit guide.

Nebraska Unemployment

When you become unemployed through no fault of your own or get your hours reduced while working in Nebraska, you may be eligible to apply for unemployment insurance benefits. Unemployment insurance is paid by employers at no cost to the employee. The money that companies pay for their workers is then put into a fund that will help others like you that may be unemployed or had their hours drastically reduced.

To be eligible to file a claim for benefits, you need to have been working in Nebraska and lost your job throgh no fault of your own. Those who had hours reduced to less than forty per week can also apply to reuceive benefits. You must be actively searching for work by your own means and through NEWorks. To remain eligible, you have to file a claim for benefits each week and report your work search contacts and earnings.

To file a claim you can either call the Nebraska Claims Center at 402-458-2500, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Or you can also use the online service by visiting: http://dol.nebraska.gov.

On your initial claim you will be asked about your previous employers. Keep a list with the names, telephone numbers and addresses of the companies you worked for, as well as a record of your earnings during the past 18 months. You will have to provide valid identification using your Social Security Number (SSN) or Alien Registration Number.

After opening your claim you will be required to create an online resume at: http://neworks.nebraska.gov. This step is mandatory and if you don’t comply with it, you may be denied your benefits.

Every week you must report the names and phone numbers of all your work search contacts. You can either use the NEWorks service online or search for work by your own means. If you receive any earnings during the week for casual jobs, you have to report it on your weekly claim. If your hours were reduced, the amounts of benefits you can receive may also be reduced.

Each week you are assigned an amount that you can calculate by adding up all earnings you received during the last four quarters. Take the highest earnings quarter amount and divide by two; round it down to the nearest even dollar amount to get your weekly benefits amount. The maximum you can get per week is half of the State Average Weekly Wage (SAWW) as calculated annually. The maximum you can get in a year is $9,204.

You can receive your payments by direct deposit to your account or by a Visa debit card. If you chose to receive your benefits by direct deposit, you will have to provide a bank routing and account number during your initial claim. If you choose to receive benefits through a Visa debit card, you will be receiving the card in the mail and will be able to use it at any U.S. establishment or ATM that accepts Visa. Your payment should arrive around five days after you have filed your claim for benefits. The first week after your initial claim is a waiting week; you won’t get paid for this week, but you still have to file a claim for benefits to receive payment for future weeks. You only have to serve one waiting week per benefit year.