Other recent statistics show that initial claims increased by 11 or 0.6 percent and weeks claimed decreased by 549 or -4.7 percent for unemployment benefits in comparison to December 2012. Since November 2013, initial claims gained 8.7 percent and weeks claimed fell by 0.6 percent.
*Statistics are seasonally adjusted in accordance to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) methodology.
In Honolulu, the unemployment rate is 3.8 percent. They have a civilian labor force of 463.8, an employment of 446.1 and unemployment of 17.7.
*Data provided by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. It shows numbers of persons, in thousands, seasonally adjusted.
Unemployment Rates per Area
As of December 2013:
- Honolulu: 3.8 percent
- Hawaii County: 5.9 percent
- Kauai: 5.1 percent
- Maui County: 4.6 percent
- Maui County – Maui Island: 4.5 percent
- Maui County – Molokai: 7.7 percent
- Maui County – Lanai: 4.8 percent
*Data not seasonally adjusted.
Employment and Unemployment per Industry:
- Nonagricultural jobs increased by 3,300 in December over November (2013).
- Job gains were experienced in Construction (+400), Leisure and Hospitality (+200), Manufacturing (+100) and Other Services (+900).
- Employment in Financial Activities remained stable (27,400).
- Government had job gains of 2,900.
- Job contraction occurred in Trade, Transportation and Utilities (-300), Professional and Business Services (-300) and Educational and Health Services (-600).
- Leisure and Hospitality added the most jobs (+4,700).
- Other Services expanded by the largest percentage (+8.1 percent).
To contact the Research and Statistics office, call 808-586-9022 or send an email to email@example.com.