The Best Time to File for an Unemployment Claim in Kansas
The best time to file for unemployment is as soon as you become unemployed. You do not need to wait until you have obtained a pink slip or severance package from your employer to begin to apply for unemployment benefits. The state of Kansas does not pay unemployment benefits for any weeks prior to the date you file for an unemployment claim, which is why it is so important that you file right away. You can file your claim and submit the necessary documents at a later date. Submitting your documents late may delay when you receive your benefits, but it will not reduce the amount of weeks you receive it for. By choosing to file an online application for unemployment you can begin the claim process the same day as your termination and avoid not receiving money for any unclaimed period of time.
What documents are required to file for unemployment in Kansas
While it is not necessary to have all your documents together when you initially file for an unemployment claim, you will eventually need to gather the required documents to finalize the claim process. The following information must be submitted soon after you file for unemployment in order to complete your application. Remember, the following information is necessary whether you choose to file an online application for unemployment or file your claim over the phone:
- Social Security number
- Alien registration number, work permit type and any other documentation that authorizes you to work in the United States, if you are not a U.S Citizen
- The name, mailing address and phone number of your last employer and the location where you reportedly worked.
- The full dates of your last employment including the first and last day worked.
- Your earnings during your last week of employment
- Any other deductible income received in the last week of employment, including vacation, severance or bonus pay.
- If you are a former federal or government employee, you must mail or fax copies of form SF* and SF%) and any Leave and Earnings Statement (LES).
- If you are an ex-military personal, you are required to mail in a copy of the DD214 member 4 file.
How to apply for unemployment online or over the phone
Choosing to file an online application for unemployment in Kansas is the most convenient way to file for an unemployment claim. You can file a claim 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the Kansas unemployment web portal, which means you can submit an application as soon as you become aware of your termination. Filing for KS unemployment insurance online is an ideal choice if you do not wish to speak with a claim representative. This process also simplifies the process for you later on when it is time to file your bi-weekly claim, adjust your payment method or email any questions you have regarding your unemployment status.
Unemployment applicants who prefer to have help throughout the claim process can always choose to file for unemployment over the phone. A claim representative from the Kansas Department of Labor will be able to help you submit all of the necessary documents and get started on the unemployment application process right away. Once your initial claim has been submitted, you can also easily file your biweekly claim over the phone through an automated phone system.