Learn How To Apply For Unemployment Claims With Our Guide

Learn How To Apply For Unemployment Claims With Our Guide

We Provide a Free Guide

Our FREE guide provides helpful information about how to apply for benefits. Learn more about us here.

Clear & Simple
Free and easy
Get the Guide

The Michigan unemployment registration procedure is accessible to all former employees within the state who are actively seeking a new job. To apply for unemployment benefits in Michigan and to discover where to sign up for unemployment, the former worker has two options at his or her disposal: filing an unemployment claim by telephone or online.

Petitioners can call to ask “How can I sign up for unemployment?” in addition to other questions about the process, such as what information to have when filing for unemployment.

Michigan Unemployment Resources

Where to Register for Unemployment Benefits in Michigan

An applicant has wondered where to apply for unemployment in MI has two answers: file an online unemployment EDD application using the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM) or file for unemployment by calling Michigan’s Automated Response Voice Interactive Manager (MARVIN).

Michigan Unemployment Registration Required

The required information for Michigan unemployment registration can be found using the MiWAM toolkit online. There is a script for MARVIN which includes questions for the online application for unemployment and the telephone certification process.

Michigan Unemployment Registration Process

Along with the claimant’s MI unemployment registration, he or she must register for work before becoming eligible for unemployment benefits, even if they registered for work immediately prior to filing that claim, and the registration has not expired.

To register, the UI petitioner must create a profile on Pure Michigan Talent Connect online. When a petitioner goes to file for an unemployment claim, he or she must also report in person to a Michigan Works! Agency (MWA) service center, no later than three business days before contacting MARVIN or MiWAM to claim benefits.

The applicant can create his or her profile online. MWA staff will validate the claimant’s profile for the UIA. Free access to the internet is available at any MWA service center. Failure to register for work can result in a delay or loss of benefits.

If the former employee is on a temporary lay-off (less than 120 days from his or her last day worked) from a full-time job, he or she does not have to register for work to be eligible for unemployment benefits. During the unemployment EDD application process, the former worker is asked a question about returning to work and the date.

If the answer was that they have a return-to-work date with the same employer within 120 days from the last day of full-time work, he or she does not have to register for work—although the petitioner still must submit the Monthly Work Search report through MiWAM or mail.

If the claimant gets his or her job by going to a union hiring hall which assigns applicants to companies, he or she does not have to register for work. If the applicant only seeks work through a union hall, he or she must follow union hiring hall procedures for checking for work and must submit his or her Monthly Work Search report indicating that work was sought through a union hiring hall.