Alabama Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in Alabama

To file an Unemployment Claim in the state of Alabama you will need these documents:

• Social Security number

• Driver’s license or Alabama ID number

• Alien Registration Card (if applicable)

• A list of names, complete addresses, and telephone numbers and the beginning and    end dates of employment for your last two employers

• Information and related documents for any federal civilian employment, military  service, or work performed in another state in the past 18 months

• Bank routing number and checking or savings account number

Once you file a claim it usually takes about two to three weeks following the week you filed a claim to receive your first benefit payment.
If you are approved for benefits, you will need to file weekly claim certifications.

To file weekly claims you will need your Social Security number and Personal Identification Number (PIN) that you established when you filed your unemployment claim.

Disclosure of Information


Claim information is considered confidential, but the law and various regulations permit the Department of Labor to report unemployment income to the Internal Revenue Service, the Alabama Department of Revenue and other governmental agencies.

Income tax Withholding

Unemployment compensation benefits are considered taxable income.

• You can request to have federal income taxes withheld from your unemployment benefit payments. If you do, weekly benefits will be reduced by 10 percent.
• You will be given the option to change your withholding status only once during your claim year.
• The Department of Labor will mail a Statement of Benefits (Form 1099-G) following a year in which you received benefits

Equal Opportunity is the Law

The Alabama Department of Labor must not discriminate in deciding who will be admitted or have access to any financially assisted program, providing opportunities, treating individuals and making employment decisions. Neither does the recipient of federal financial assistance can discriminate against any individual in the United States on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age disability, political affiliation or belief, against any beneficiary of programs financially assisted on the basis of the beneficiary’s citizenship or immigration status or in his or her participation in any financially assisted program or activity.

If you think that you have been subjected to discrimination under a Workforce Investment Act of 1998 (WIA) Title I - financially assisted program or activity, you may file a complaint within 180 days from the date of the alleged violation with ADOL or with the Civil Rights Center (CRC).


For questions, contact the UC division at (334) 242-8025. is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.