Connecticut Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in Connecticut

To file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim in Connecticut, you will need:

  • Social Security card
  • Separation packet (if one was provided)
  • Proof you are authorized to work in the U.S. (if you are not a US citizen)
  • Separation form DD214, Member-4 (if you are separating from the military)
  • Separation form SF-8 and copy of most recent pay stub (if you are a federal employee)


Your claim can be filed without any of these documents. You can start the process right away and provide documentation after. The only exception is for those claimants who are required to provide proof of work authorization documents in this country. There may be a delay in payment until the document(s) are received, so make sure to provide them in a timely manner.

Aside from having the proper documentation, you need to know if you are eligible for benefits.

Eligibility is defined by several conditions, including:

  • You must be monetarily eligible.
  • You must be totally or partially unemployed.
  • You must have an approvable job separation.
  • You must be in legal alien status (if not a U.S. citizen).
  • You must meet certain weekly legal requirements. These include:
    • Being physically and mentally able to work
    • Being available for and seeking work
    • Filing your weekly claim for benefits on a timely basis

Continued Eligibility

Once you have established a claim, you will need to file weekly claims. This type of claim is known as “continued claim.” You can file a continued claim, online or by telephone. You also need to remain eligible.


It is against the law to omit or misrepresent facts to qualify for Unemployment Insurance benefit payments. Violators are subject to prosecution and, if found guilty, are subject to a jail sentence of one to five years and a maximum fine of $5,000. In addition, they must repay the amount of benefits overpaid.

  • If the determination is made prior to October 1, 2013, you may face a penalty of as many as 39 additional weeks of future benefits.
  • If the determination is made on or after October 1, 2013, violators must pay a monetary penalty of 50 percent of the amount overpaid for the first offense and 100 percent of the amount overpaid for any additional offenses.

The penalty amount cannot be paid with future unemployment benefits. After the penalty has been paid, the overpayment amount may be totally offset by future benefits until all overpaid benefits are recovered. Other penalties or actions may be taken by law to punish fraud for UI.

To report UI fraud, call 1-800-894-3490 or complete a Report Fraud form available at:

For more information, please visit: is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.