Iowa Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in Iowa?

To file an Unemployment Insurance (UI) claim, you need to provide proper documentation and information.

You will need:

  • Your Social Security number.
  • The name, address and telephone number of your most recent employer.
  • The beginning and ending dates you worked for your last employer.
  • Your Alien registration number, if not a U.S. citizen.
  • Name(s) of anyone you will be claiming as a dependent.
  • The amount your spouse earned in the preceding week, if you want to claim your spouse as a dependent.
  • A DD-214 Member 4, if U.S. military during the last 18 months.
  • A SF-8 form, if you worked for the federal government in the last 18 months.

You will also need to meet all eligibility requirements.

These include:

  • Be totally or partially unemployed.
  • Have worked and earned enough wages covered by unemployment insurance in the last 15 to 18 months.
  • Be out of work through no fault of your own.
  • Be able to work and available for work.
  • Be actively seeking work.
  • Be registered for work unless waived.
  • Keep a record of your work search.
  • Report if you quit or are fired from any job while claiming benefits.
  • Notify Iowa Workforce Development if for any reason you move or leave the area for more than three working days.
  • Report all earnings before deductions when earned, not when paid.
  • Report any vacation, severance or holiday pay.
  • Notify Iowa Workforce Development if you are currently enrolled or start school.
  • Notify Iowa Workforce Development if you are receiving a private pension or workers’ compensation.

Continued Eligibility

Once you file your initial claim, you must report your continued claim each week to certify your eligibility and keep receiving benefits.

Each week, you must certify:

  • You are unemployed or working reduced hours.
  • You are able and available for work.
  • You have not refused any job offers or referrals to a job.
  • You are actively looking for work (unless waived).
  • You are reporting any pay or private pension you may be receiving.

You will need:

  • Personal Identification Number (PIN)
  • Social Security number
  • Gross (before deductions) amount in dollars if you worked during the week or you received or will receive vacation or holiday pay, during the week
  • Pencil and paper


Reporting or omitting information to qualify for UI benefits is punished by the law. Attempts to claim and receive benefits fraudulently can result in loss of benefits, fines or imprisonment.

To report claimant fraud, call 515-281-5792 or visit:

To report employer fraud, call 515-281-5792 or visit: is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.