Kansas Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in Kansas

To apply for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits, you must provide the appropriate documentation and information.

You will need:

  • Social Security number
  • Name
  • Home mailing address
  • Phone number
  • Email address
  • The county in which you live
  • Driver’s license number or ID card
  • Employment authorization number and expiration date (if a non-citizen)
  • DD-214, Member 4 form (if you were active duty military within the past 18 months)
  • Form SF-50, W-2 and check stubs (if you were a federal employee within the past 18 months)

You will also need information regarding your job(s):

  • Company name for all your employers from the past 18 months as it appears on your paycheck stub or W-2 form
  • Complete mailing address for those employers
  • Start and end dates with each employer you worked for in the past 18 months
  • Total wages earned with each employer and how you were paid (hourly, weekly or monthly)
  • Reason for leaving each of those employers (quit, fired, laid off or leave of absence)

Individuals must fulfill eligibility requirements in order to receive benefits.

To be considered “eligible,” you must be:

  • Able and available to work.
  • Actively seeking employment.
  • Unemployed due to no fault of your own.

The Kansas Department of Labor offers an Unemployment Insurance Application Checklist for your convenience. Access the checklist by visiting: https://www.getkansasbenefits.gov/documents/KBENP0970.pdf.

Initial claims can be filed online or over the phone.

After filing your initial claim, you must keep certifying your benefits weekly to receive payment.

You may file weekly claims online or over the phone as well.

If filing online, you will need:

  • Username

  • Password

  • Personal Identification Number (PIN)

If filing by phone, you will need:

  • Social Security number

  • PIN

For both, online and phone applications:

  • The amount of your gross wages earned (money earned before deductions) during the week you are making a claim for unemployment insurance.

  • The number of hours you worked during the week being claimed.

  • Gross amount of any paid time off (vacation, personal time off or holiday pay) you received for the week being claimed.

  • Gross amount of severance pay received for the week being claimed.

  • Paper and pencil to write down any information.


Reporting or omitting information to qualify for UI benefits is punished by the law. Attempts to claim and receive benefits fraudulently can result in loss of benefits, fines or imprisonment.

If you think someone is committing fraud, report them immediately.

You can report fraud online, by visiting: https://www.dol.ks.gov/.

You can also report fraud by email, phone or fax by printing a Fraud Report form and following directions. For form, visit: http://www.dol.ks.gov/Files/PDF/kben307.pdf.

Unemploymentclaims.org is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.