New Jersey Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in New Jersey?

You need to provide supporting documentation to be eligible for unemployment benefits. When you file an unemployment claim, you need to provide the following documents:

  • Social Security Number
  • Non-U.S. citizens must provide their Alien Registration Documentation issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Employer information from the last 18 months is required. You need to provide the employer’s name, address, telephone number, employment beginning and ending dates, and the reason for separation.
  • Your bank information will be needed if you want your benefits to be deposited in your bank account.

Keep in mind that New Jersey driver’s license or identification card is not required, but having either document will expedite the process.

There are specific conditions that will require additional documents. Take into consideration the following:

  • If you are currently receiving any kind of pension, you must provide your pension’s information.

  • If you are receiving separation pay, you need to provide the amount and duration of the pay.

  • In case you’re waiting to be recalled to your job, provide the recall expected date.

  • Union workers need to provide the union’s information, including their local number and address.

  • If you were in the military in the past 18 months, you need to provide the Military DD-214.

  • If you were a federal civilian employee, you must provide the SF-8 or SF-50 Form.

When you apply for unemployment benefits, you will be required to choose a four-digit Personal Identification Number or PIN number. You need to be prepared to choose the PIN when you file a new unemployment claim.

The State of New Jersey won’t tax unemployment benefits; however, they are subject to federal income taxes. The New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development office will allow you to voluntarily choose to have the 10 percent federal income tax reduced from your weekly unemployment benefits. You can make this choice when filing your unemployment claim. Take into consideration that if you chose to have the taxes withheld, they cannot be returned unless they are part of your federal income tax refund. is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.