New York Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in New York

The Department of Labor requires documentation to support your claim of unemployment insurance benefits. When filing a claim, you need the following items:

  • Pen and paper to write down information.
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Your mailing address
  • Your telephone number (or a number where you can be reached)
  • Employer information from the last 18 months. Include employer’s name and address, even those from another state.
  • Federal Employer Identification Number or Employer Registration number
  • SF8 and SF50 forms are required for federal employees.
  • If you were in the military service, you need to provide the most recent DD 214 separation form.
  • Non-U.S. citizens must provide their Alien Registration card number.
  • Driver license or NY ID card is not a requirement, but it will help expedite the process.

You will be able to file an unemployment claim even if you don’t have all the documents listed above. However, missing information may result in benefit payment delays.

You will need to provide your bank account numbers if you decide to have your weekly benefits deposited directly in your account. Be prepared to provide both routing and checking account numbers.

The first time you file an unemployment claim in New York, you are required to create a Personal Identification Number (PIN). This is a four-digit number that you need to keep confidential at all times; sharing your PIN can lead to benefits suspension for up to 20 weeks. Your PIN number serves as an electronic signature that protects you against unauthorized people that may submit claims and obtain payment in your behalf. You will need your PIN every time you submit a claim. If you forget your PIN, you can the Telephone Claim Center at 1-888-209-8124 and follow the menu option.

Additional Information

Non-U.S. citizens are also eligible for unemployment benefits if they:

  • Were legally working in the United States at the time they lost their job.
  • Have the legal means to start a new job.
  • Meet the other requirements for unemployment insurance.

The DOL requires you to report any activity that generates income or will bring income in the perceivable future. In these cases, you need to call the Telephone Claims Center and provide all the details if:

  • You are doing freelance work.
  • You are self-employed.
  • You are starting a new business.
  • If you are doing “favors” for a business.

You are required to report any work, regardless if it is for yourself, a friend, a relative or an employer. is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.