North Dakota Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in North Dakota?

To file an unemployment claim in North Dakota you need to have the following information available:

  • Social Security Number
  • Employer information from the last 18 months. You must include the employer’s name, address and telephone number
  • The wage you are willing to accept
  • Your Alien Identification Number if you are not a U.S. citizen, but are authorized to legally work in the United States
  • Your Union name and number
  • If you served in the military service, you must provide the DD214 member copy.
  • Federal civilian service employees must provide the SF8 and SF50 forms.

The basic eligibility requirements for unemployment benefits in North Dakota are covered employment and unemployment. Unemployment is determined when you are substantially unemployed and your gross earnings during a defined week are less than the weekly benefit amount. You may still be eligible for unemployment benefits while working part-time, if your wage is less that the weekly benefit amount. Covered employment refers to liable employers that are part of the North Dakota Unemployment Insurance program. You must have worked for an employer that pays unemployment insurance taxes and not all employers are liable or covered.

Besides these two basic requirements, you must meet other conditions to be eligible for unemployment benefits. Take the following factors under consideration:

  • You must be able and available for work.
  • You are actively seeking for a job.
  • You have registered your resume at
  • You are complying with the re-employment activities directed by Job Service.

It is important to provide accurate and timely information to the Job Service office when you apply for unemployment benefits. If the information provided is incomplete or fails to establish your eligibility, your benefit payments will be stopped. Job Service will mail you a letter requesting additional information or they will call you for an interview.

Even if your eligibility has not been determined, you need to keep submitting weekly certifications until a decision is made. Once your eligibility is determined, you will receive a written notification. Remember that you are able to submit an appeal if you disagree with the Job Service’s decision. is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.