South Dakota Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in South Dakota

When you need to file an unemployment claim in South Dakota, you will need to provide certain information about yourself, and in some cases, certain documents as well. This information is used to determine whether or not your circumstances qualify you for unemployment benefits. You must meet certain eligibility requirements, which are also explained on this website. This information will also be helpful in figuring out your weekly benefit amount, or WBA, if you do indeed qualify for unemployment benefits in South Dakota.

Be sure to gather all of this information and documentation before you begin filing your claim. Without it, you will more than likely need to call back, or pause your online application, depending on the way you chose to apply. Being prepared ahead of time will make the process of filing an initial unemployment claim in South Dakota far easier on you.

Below is a list of the information and documentation that you will need to file an initial unemployment claim in the state of South Dakota:

  • Your Social Security number

  • The exact dates (month, day and year) that you started working and ended working for your most recent employer. If you have worked for this employer more than once, with gaps in-between employment, just have the most recent dates ready.

  • The reason why you separated from each employer. The most recent one is the most important. You must have been let go due to no fault of your own, or have voluntarily left due to a special circumstance, such as a health issue. If you voluntarily leave your job, or are fired for misconduct, unemployment benefits may not be available to you.

  • Your home address

  • Your phone number

  • Your Alien Registration Number if you are not a U.S. citizen

If you are confused about any of these documents or pieces of information, it is best to reach out to a representative to clarify any issues you may have. Please call 605-626-2452 and ask to speak to a representative. is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.