Washington Unemployment Required Documents Information 

What Documents Do I Need to File an Unemployment Claim in Washington

When it comes time to file your unemployment benefits claim in Washington, you may need to present some physical documentation in certain situations, but information will be the most important thing that you need. There are several pieces of information you will need to collect on yourself, past employers and the reasoning behind the separation between you and your previous employers.

Below is a list of the information and supplemental documentation needed to file an initial unemployment claim in Washington:

  • Social Security number

  • Date of birth

  • Reason for why you are no longer working

  • Information on all the places you have worked in the past two years, including:

    • Length of time you worked at each place

    • The best person to contact

    • A phone number for the employer

    • The address for the employer

    • How much you were earning each month

    • Type of work you were doing

    • The reason why you no longer work for each company

  • If you are not a U.S. citizen, then you will also need to provide the information on the type of residency card you have, your personal registration number and the expiration date listed on the document.

  • If you do not have this information, you can also show proof your work authorization, such as a work visa.
  • If you were in the military, you will also need to send in your discharge papers, or employment separation agreement. This may also apply if you were a federal employee.

The information you need to provide can change at any time, so it is a good idea to either reach out via phone to speak to a representative so you can be prepared to file your claim. There is a list of contacts to multiple departments located here: http://esd.wa.gov/. In addition, you may prefer to simply file your claim over the Internet. This way you will be able to see everything you need directly in front of you, and will also avoid wait times on the phone. To apply online visit esd.wa.gov.

Unemploymentclaims.org is a privately owned website that is not owned or operated by any government agency.